Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance can either be remote or in our Petco San Antonio, TX office with a full relocation package. The successful candidate will be responsible for lease compliance of all 1500+ Petco stores, managing and supervising property managers, lease compliance, including but not limited to: validating of operating costs associated with common area maintenance, property taxes, insurance and other costs; interpreting lease terms and conditions for Real Estate Directors, VP of RE and Accounting department as needed. Also responsible for the management of departmental database, and lease audit function both internally and externally.
- Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Develop and manage auditing programs targeted at recovering lease overcharges.
- Responsible for collection of overcharges resulting from occupancy cost audit findings, as well as reviews for lease violations such as Co-Tenancy, Exclusive Use and Character of Shopping Center; assist Property Managers-Lease Compliance, Co-Tenancy Compliance Auditor, and Third Party Audit Consultants in negotiation with landlords for timely resolution of all issues.
- Prepare and distribute accurate month end reports pertaining to Co-Tenancy and Audit Findings.
- Cultivate process improvement initiatives to increase production and efficiency within the department.
- Address unfavorable lease clauses and provide recommended language to advise Real Estate Directors, Real Estate Market Analyst, and Legal Department to utilize for Real Estate Committee. Resolve interpretation inquiries regarding lease rights and explanation of lease terminology from external departments.
- Accountable for the accuracy and integrity of database in regards to co-tenants and clauses, alternate rent terms, and termination dates (if applicable.)
- Provide support to Legal, Real Estate Directors and other partners that affect estoppels, renewals, amendments, use waivers or other deal negotiations.
- Provide guidance to direct reports as questions arise regarding auditing issues.
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Act as a leader and mentor to develop team members by providing constructive feedback to team.
- Perform top-down review of occupancy expenses to identify audit opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nature of Supervision: General instruction is provided on some, but not all tasks to be performed. In addition, the Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance is responsible for completing non-routine assignments and projects that may last for extended periods of time without regular supervisory guidance or direction.
Planning and Problem Solving: Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance must plan for on-time and accurate completion of the annual budgets, setting deadlines and following up with direct reports to make sure the deadlines will be met. Also, must plan to be sure all payables are made as required by the leases.
Impact: Position is partially responsible for the occupancy budget of over $400,000,000.00. Also responsible for the NNN auditing, which saves the company over $5,000,000.00 annually.
Supervisory Responsibility: Directly manage lower level staff. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation and follow-through, and, partnering with Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination.
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience; in addition, a strong accounting background is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in professional level commercial real estate, construction and property management required, and a minimum of 5 years supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in CAM auditing and “NNN” leases, cost accounting and other lease administration functions including rent commencement activities, and a strong working knowledge of lease terminology and practices so can act as liaison between RE personnel and landlord.
- Position requires excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation and organizational skills and the ability to negotiate disputes while maintaining good relationships with the landlords and to interact with managers in other Petco departments to develop and maintain best practices.
- Analyze Information – Gathers and analyzes the most critical information needed to understand problems. Identifies the key issues in complex or ambiguous problems. Breaks down problems into manageable components. Recognizes symptoms that indicate problems.
- Demonstrate Credibility – Follows through on commitments. Is honest and direct in dealing with people. Acts consistently with stated policies and practices. Does not disclose confidential information.
- Plan and Execute Efficiently – Develops realistic plans (e.g., action steps, timelines) to accomplish objectives (e.g., optimizing staffing schedules). Plans and manages his/her own and others’ time, based on business priorities, and follows up to ensure all work requirements are completed in a timely and accurate manner. Holds him/herself and team accountable for outcomes (e.g., achieving goals and complying with policies and procedures). Anticipates and addresses obstacles, redirecting efforts to accelerate the work or improve quality.
- Seek Customer Satisfaction -Ensures the accurate understanding of customer needs (e.g., ensures that customer-facing employees ask key questions). Seeks feedback from customers to identify improvement opportunities. Ensures follow-up with customers to confirm problems are solved. Continually searches for ways to improve customer service (including the removal of barriers and providing solutions).
- Select and Develop – Identifies and recruits/refers qualified people. Makes accurate evaluations of people’s capabilities and fit. Provides honest, helpful feedback to others on their performance. Provides coaching and guidance where appropriate to enhance others’ skill development.
- Use Appropriate Judgment – Makes sound decisions regarding everyday issues and problems. Chooses from alternatives based on consideration of pros, cons, tradeoffs, timing, and available resources. Evaluates the impact or consequences of actions and decisions (e.g., impacts on sales, customer satisfaction). Makes timely decisions regarding problems/issues requiring immediate attention.
Work Environment: The majority of job duties are performed while seated indoors with little or no exposure to hazards. Some travel to visit surplus sites or problem properties may be required.
Contacts: Due to the nature of this position, the Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance will have a great deal of contact both within and outside the company, ranging anywhere from the routine exchange of information to negotiation of lease renewals and the resolution of complex problems. Contacts within the Company will consist primarily with the Directors of Operation, District Managers, Accounting, and Director of Property Management and Lease Administration, while outside contacts will consist of landlords and property managers and their attorneys.
If interested in this position, you should apply directly to: https://careers.petco.com/ and reference req# 19024547.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.